Weight loss is very frustrating and difficult goal. Many endocrine conditions including diabetes is associated with weight changes. It is your doctors role to discuss your symptoms and investigate causes behind any sudden weight gain remember that they may not all be due to hormones
- Persistence … We often give up too quickly.. Expecting to see a weight loss of 2 lbs (1 Kg) per week is very satisfying but very difficult to achieve. Hence, we must have the ability to look beyond the weeks when the scales give you disappointing results.
- Understanding your body. – Your body has been designed for survival. Hence many factors make you eat. Very few factors make you stop eating. What are your triggers?
- Boredom – wandering into the kitchen makes biscuits look like the thing you need
- Stress. – When we eat under stress, we tend to store
- Lack of sleep- Sleep de-stresses your body and resets your hormones. Anything less than 8 hours will make you gain weight. Don’t fool yourself thinking that you are fine with 6 hours of sleep.
- Exotic diets work – for a time – Any diet (Atkins, south beach diet, 5 – 2 diet) that you follow will cause initial weight loss. However, your body becomes more efficient with time. so if you were burning 80- calorie per mile at the start, in 2 weeks your body will need only 60 calories for the same exercise. so weight loss plateaus.
- Weight loss must not be your only goal.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket…so improving the health of your blood vessels, increasing your bone and muscle strength are all part of your goal. If your weight hasn’t dropped one week, your muscles would have grown that week
- Your aim is to live a long and healthy life and while looking slim is desirable, there is not much point if you die young and slim.
- Balance your work life priorities. Is health your priority at present? If it is not, don’t beat yourself up.. Now may not be the best time to embark on a long and difficult journey.
- Don’t make excuses, accept failure and move on
- Sometimes failure is difficult to accept.. So we make excuses. Weather was not good, I was busy at work
- Examine why the last two weeks have been difficult and see how you can make changes
- If you need stimulants (coffee, tea, cigarettes) reexamine your priorities
- Stimulants while providing you short term energy and alertness make us misinterpret signals. When caffeine withdrawal occurs, you may feel that you need some sugary foods to give you energy
- Smoking may help with weight loss, but do you want to take on the health risks?
I often advise a low carbohydrate diet if you are hoping to acheive weight loss. Carbohydrates should be consumed in proportion to your exercise.
Earn your Carbohydrates
Little or No exercise ( less than 1 hour per day/ 8000 steps) – 80 grams carbohydrates
For every additional 2500 steps – additional 20 grams allowed (1 slice bread)
Those with diabetes will need to discuss your carbohydrate restriction with your healthcare professional to tailor your medications to optimize your goals.
Very Low calorie diets
These are foods that you purchase yourselves and then work with your healthcare professional to achieve weight loss. On average it will cost £45 – 60 per week. However this is a meal replacement program. Think of this as an investment in your health