Munnar is the Jewel in the Hills located on the western Ghats mountains in Kerala. Located at an elevation of 1500 meters, this is significantly cooler than the city of Ernakulam just 100 kilometers away.
Nearest Airport – Cochin Airport (COK) This is located a good 1 hour from Cochin and you wil spend about INR 1000 (£10.00) to get to the city. Prepaid taxis are available
Nearest major railway station -Ernakulam (ERN)
The windy roads will take about 3 hours from the city of Ernakulam. It is best to plan the following
- Hire a car which is tall ( 4 wheel drive ) like qualis or Innova and comes with a reliable driver. The usual charge is about INR 3000 per day and it is best to plan 3 days in total
- Have a break on the way I would recommend Hotel Maria international in Kothamangalam (although I am not sure which bit of it is international!) Nice idlis, dosa and filter coffee. Can can be parked on site
- Take some nausea tablets. Most are available over the counter.Take one at Hotel Maria international if you tend to be travel sick.
- There are many water falls on the way. Please stop and walk around. Drink tender coconut water freshly cut as this tends to be easy on the stomach
- There are 23 hairpin bends and you can advise the driver to take it easy if you are uncomfortable. “Pathukkai Poyal mathi” is go Slowly
Staying in Munnar
What to do in munnar
Trip advisor suggests a few places to visit.
Of these I would recommend the following
- Tata Tea museum
- Mattupetti dam
- Pallivasal falls
Finally enjoy the quiet unpolluted atmosphere and the culture, the food and the quiet of the place. A fantastic place for soul-searching and reflection